So the students graduated on Friday. It has taken me a while to post pictures cause I was really sick last week (sore throat, fever, cough, etc). It lasted a long time though, so I am just starting to feel better. The graduation went really good! I am going to copy some stuff out of the report I wrote about the Graduation. ENJOY:
"The spirit was strong as the first student, Gustavo (current Bishop), stood up and talked about one of the 25 rules of thumb that had especially impacted him. The rule that had most impacted Gustavo was the 25th rule of thumb that states “Focus, Focus, Focus.” He went on to say that, “I learned that focus is central to the success of your business. If we focus everything we have on becoming successful I know that it is possible.” Another student, Javier (current Stake President), testified about the importance of keeping records when he said, “I have learned that keeping accurate and written records is vital to the success of your business. It is impossible to be successful without records.” Javier has his own business as an accountant after coming to the Academy, he now realizes why his business is failing and what he has to do to become successful once again. A student named Mauricio shared about the life changing principle he learned of making a daily profit. Before coming to the Academy, Mauricio and his brother Milton depended on selling popsicles in order to survive on their own. This principle hit home as he realized that this is what he must do in order to survive. Mauricio stated, “The principle of having a daily profit has helped me to have a constant vision. We worked hard to do this every day at the Academy and we were able to do it. I know that the knowledge I learned at the Academy will bless my life forever. It has helped me to realize that WE can make a change in our country. Now is the time to make changes and go and share what we have learned.” Mauricio’s humble testimony of the blessing the Academy is in his life was very moving. If you ever doubt that the Academy is changing people’s lives then talk to Mauricio
To end the graduation a past graduate from Puebla, Mexico named, Alan Aliniz, was invited to share his story with the students. He graduated from the Academy in January 2010. Before he came to the Academy he was in a very bad financial situation and struggling to feed his family. The Academy gave him tools and the knowledge necessary to bring himself out of poverty. Now a short year and a half after graduating Alan owns a greenhouse building company and has had up to 60 employees. In the last year Alan has done 36 projects, some as big as 10 acres. Alan’s success started with just one simple sale in a moment of desperation, “I walked up to the man and said, ‘My name is Alan and I build greenhouses better than anyone else.’”
Alan attributes his success to a principle that he learned at the Academy of customer service. He explained how the companies in Mexico are not accustomed to giving any customer service at all. This principle alone has given him an incredible competitive advantage over his competition. He explained, “I take each one of my clients to the site where we will be building their greenhouses and explain to them that I will be working right alongside my employees for the duration of the project. If they have any concerns I encourage them to call me.” He also said that, “Many people ask me how I did it; I simply reply that I applied the principles that I learned at the Academy.” As Alan talked about the opportunity he has had to give work to people he got emotional saying, “Without the Academy none of that would’ve been possible.” It was really good for the students to hear from someone that has been in their same shoes. Someone that knows what it’s like to struggle and feel defeated. He is a perfect example of what success can be gained by applying the principles taught in the Academy. We have no doubt that these students will go on to do great things. They will change lives and by example teach the culture of success to the people of Mexico. "
Anyways so that was the report that I wrote about the graduation. It was really cool. Many of these students arrived to the campus 6 weeks ago very discouraged and without hope. They are leaving filled with hope for a better future. It's been great to see that change in them. We met some really great people and made some life long friends.
Cake at the Graduation
Brothers-Mauricio and Milton , they are awesome and they think we are good dancers
Gaby and Emiz----Gaby is going to start working here
With Eli and Eury-They both work here
This is one of the groups-they started a business making larger sized pants. They did really good
Brenda
No comments:
Post a Comment